Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 8mm vs Super 8

  1. #1
    mtmbklyn
    Guest mtmbklyn's Avatar

    Post

    Greetings,
    I am new to 8mm film. I am trying to purchase a projector for the old home movies I inherited. It seems that I have 2 different types of film (the threading holes on the film are spaced differently) so the projector I have only accepts one type. Can somebody shed some light on the differences? Is there an easy way to tell them apart? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular 8 Freak
    Guest Regular 8 Freak's Avatar

    Post

    Hi,
    You probably have some films that were shot in the regular 8 format and some that were filmed using Super 8. Both formats are the same width and similar in appearance after processing but Super 8 films have smaller sprocket holes in order to give it a larger frame. You can purchase projectors (Dual 8) which will allow you to view either format usually with the flip of a switch. Alot of them appear for sale on E-Bay. It might be a good idea to contact the seller and verify that it actually works good and has a working bulb. An extra bulb is also a good idea, nothing is worse than having the bulb burn out just when things are getting interesting. I hope this helps :-)

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    Question for Regular 8 freak.

    Are you also a Super-8 freak, or was there something about Regular 8 that you like so much that you never got into Super-8mm?

    ------------------
    Alex

  4. #4
    mtmbklyn
    Guest mtmbklyn's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks, at least I know now that a dual 8 projector will do it. I have a projector in perfect condition but of course it is either regular 8 or super 8 specific. Most of my film will need the other projector. The problem is, I don't know which projector I have. It's a Keystone 919. No other information is on there. Is there a way I could tell the difference by looking at the cog/threader? There's a few at the junk stores out here. I guess I could just take a clip of each film and see if it threads. Let me know if you have any mor help. Thanks again!

  5. #5
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    I hope you don't damage your precious home movies by putting them in a projector you know very little about.

    The following is going sound melodramatic, but what the heck.

    You should start by shooting a roll of Super-8mm film, getting it developed, then proceeding with your plan of getting a projector, and projecting you film first.

    By projecting images you shot first, you indoctrinate yourself into all aspects of the Super-8mm format, and your knowledge base increases vastly with just a little work.

    For instance, when you thread YOUR film, that you shot, you pay attention to the picture because you shot it, you relive the footage as the camera person who shot it, and your intuitiveness for the filmmaking process grows by leaps and bounds as you observe what you shot.

    So, when you play your film a second time, and see a big old scratch in the deep blue sky, you IMMEDIATELY NOTICE the scratch, and you begin to problem solve.

    Now you listen to the projector for odd sounds, and so on.

    I would ask myself the following question....

    ....are these home movies less important because I did not shoot them?

    If you hopefully answer that these home-movies are as important as if you had shot them yourself....

    ....then shoot something yourself and go through all the steps so you can understand the significance and value of what you are trying to do.



    ------------------
    Alex

  6. #6
    Regular 8 Freak
    Guest Regular 8 Freak's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:
    Question for Regular 8 freak.

    Are you also a Super-8 freak, or was there something about Regular 8 that you like so much that you never got into Super-8mm?

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well Alex I guess you could say I am just a freak. Just kidding, no I shoot some Super 8 as well. I inherited alot of Regular 8 equipment a few years ago and have shot alot of it as a result. I do like the format, but I purchased a couple of Super 8 cameras also and there is usually some S8 K40 in my fridge all of the time. It's great when I just want to point and shoot on the run without having to flip film. I really like both gauges.



    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •